Ms M

Ms M
The Fedora

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Good Ole Days


Aloha All,

I was thinking recently, about my life in the military. I was wondering why DADT didn't seem to affect me so much on a personal level.

I realized it could be any of several factors, one being I was a diehard diva girly-girl. But I don't believe that was the only reason, if even a consideration. I also played basketball (don't break my nails,lol) and softball, and was pretty good at just about any sport. So, what did that mean? Did it cause a conundrum for anyone? I don't think so.

Here is my preDADT family:


We were ‘normal’ people, a couple, and viewed as such. I was out to pretty much everyone …well … except that sect of people known as my family. If you have as many preachers, evangelist, professors and such in your family, as I do you probably understand. Lol I guess I felt like I could only be myself away from them. BTW, I was wrong about that. LOL

And that’s it ….. I was just myself. My then-partner Barbara, our daughter Andrea and I were just ourselves. No fanfare, no fights with the neighbors. We purchased a home, we went to church, we had family picnics, some of which included Barbara’s family, and on rare occasions hung out with a few ‘enlightened’ folks from my family. We even rolled eggs on the White House lawn on Easter just like other families. There was no rainbow flag, heck, I didn’t even know what that was. ... and even if I had known, was it really necessary -- for me -- at that time? It didn't feel like it, but then again, I didn't know the legacy of the fight for equality for that part of my person. I suppose I lived in a bubble. ...a very happy one that was filled with enough OTHER fights for equality on other levels.

I begin to think that DADT came about because so many other people were not happy in their own lives and had to find a way to invite others into their misery.

Desert Shield (1990-1991) was ending, and Desert Storm beginning. People began to scrutinize each other, their government, their neighbors, everything.

DADT was instituted when Andrea was 10 years old. The difference was so dramatic that, between that and other factors I said goodbye to the military by the time she was 12. I had a promising career, and was on the fast track, but it was time to go. One thing my Dad taught me was to NEVER outstay your welcome.

I hope that one day ALL families get to enjoy the quality of life and happiness the family in my picture had. ALL families.

No comments:

Post a Comment